The Juggernaut writing platform was launched in April 2017 to find new writing voices with one aim: that writers needn’t have to ‘know’ anyone to get published. With that aim in mind, we have commissioned several writers, launched writing competitions, partnered with literary festivals, and curated and organised writing workshops in Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, and Bangalore.
Juggernaut Selects will identify and develop five new writers every month, straight from the writing platform: these writers will be provided all the benefits of a publishing house, and Juggernaut will strive to form long-term relationships with them.
What kind of benefits will these 5 writers of the month receive?
- The top 5 stories for the month will be chosen by the writing platform editor, after going all the submissions.
- These 5 stories will be edited by Juggernaut’s in-house team of highly experienced editors and copyeditors.
- A book jacket will be designed for these 5 stories, by the same designers who design jackets for all of Juggernaut’s other books.
- These 5 stories will be promoted on the Juggernaut app via banners, in-app notifications, and mailers, so that these books receive more views.
- A creative toolkit, along with some of Juggernaut’s most exciting print titles, will be sent to these writers at their address, along with a certificate.
- The 5 authors get the opportunity for a 15- minute phone call with a Juggernaut commissioning editor, to whom they can pitch a story that they might be working on currently, or would like to work on in the future. They will also be able to send a presentation to the Juggernaut commissioning editor beforehand so they may be able to talk through it.
In addition to this, Juggernaut will look towards incubating and mentoring their writing, and will seek to have their participation in Juggernaut writing platform activities.
2018 was a big year for the writing platform: the contracts we have given by the end of the year are close to 30, and the total number of writing workshops and webinars we have organised are almost at 50. The writing platform is one of the most comprehensive platforms for young writers in India. A one-stop shop for writers across the country, we are constantly innovating and seeking new ways to bring writing voices to the forefront. [Read more: Best moments from the Juggernaut Writing Platform]
Take Aarati Shah for instance: she wrote a story called ‘Bhatkal Biryani’- a fabulous tale of a Hindu girl who falls in love with a Muslim boy, at whose house she is a cook, while eventual tragedy forces her to make a tough decision: to poison the biryani and kill the love of her life. Aarati sent in this story as an entry in AKLF-Juggernaut Writers’ Hunt, and now not only is she being edited and published by Juggernaut, she also receives an all expense paid trip to the Apeejay Kolkata Literary Festival, invited as a part of the official delegation where she will be felicitated by Mr Andrew Sean Greer, a Pulitzer prize winning author. [Read more: Winners of the Short Story Writing Contest]
We are lining up further exciting activities for 2019, and can’t wait to read all the stories from the writing platform, the writers of which constantly take us by awe and surprise.